Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Films with Actors I Don't Like

I watched another movie in the continuing series I like to call Films with Actors I Don't Like.

Mr. Brooks

Consider Mr. Brooks: a successful businessman; a generous philanthropist; a loving father and devoted husband. Seemingly, he's perfect. But Mr. Brooks has a secret--he is an insatiable serial killer, so lethally clever that no one has ever suspected him--until now. Earl Brooks is a man who has managed to keep his two incompatible worlds from intersecting by controlling his cunning, wicked alter ego Marshall. But now, as Mr. Brooks succumbs to one last murderous urge, an amateur photographer witnesses the crime. Suddenly Brooks finds himself entangled in the dark agenda of an opportunistic bystander, as well as hunted by the unorthodox and tenacious detective Tracy Atwood. Can Mr. Brooks outsmart his adversaries and conceal his shocking double life from his wife and daughter--or will someone expose his crimes and his identity once and for all?

I didn’t know anything about this film before I watched it except that it starred Kevin Costner, who I do like. And I know that critics seem to pan all Kevin Costner movies.

But I didn’t realize it also stars Dane Cook (who I just saw in Dan in Real Life), who I don’t like. And it also stars Demi Moore, who I also don’t like.

But there were also some actors that I like. Besides Costner, I thought William Hurt was great in this movie and I've been a fan of his acting (Into the Wild and A History of Violence). I also like Marg Helgenberger from CSI, who plays Costner's wife.

Parts of this film were really good and I enjoyed it. There were other parts that were completely ridiculous (every plot envoloving Demi Moore's character) that almost ruined the movie for me. But the story is interesting enough to keep your attention though the stupid parts, and good acting my Costner and Hurt make it entertaining.

I also watched the Academy Award-nominated Disney movie Enchanted, with Amy Adams (who just hosted Saturday Night Live). The actor I don't like is Susan Sarandon.

The tale follows the beautiful princess Giselle as she is banished by an evil queen from her magical, musical animated land--and finds herself in the gritty reality of the streets of modern-day Manhattan. Shocked by this strange new environment that doesn't operate on a "happily ever after" basis, Giselle is now adrift in a chaotic world badly in need of enchantment. But when Giselle begins to fall in love with a charmingly flawed divorce lawyer who has come to her aid--even though she is already promised to a perfect fairy tale prince back home--she has to wonder: can a storybook view of romance survive in the real world?

This movie was better than I expected and I really enjoyed the songs, especially the ones I had heard on the Oscars a few weeks ago. It's worth watching, especially if you're a little girl.

No comments: