Wednesday, January 30, 2008

New beer on tap: Lakefront Big Easy Lager


I finally finished the half-barrel of Lakefront IPA that I had on tap since the end of October. Not all of my guests like IPA-style beers, so it went a little slower than some of the other beers I've had. I thought it was great, and I liked the taste even better as it aged. I probably should have bought just a quarter-barrel, but they didn't have any available at the time.

My new beer on tap is another Lakefront Brewery selection, Big Easy Lager (in honor of Mardi Gras and something light for my Super Bowl party).

This beer won a Bronze Medal at the 2004 World Beer Cup in the German Style Heller Bock/Maibock category. Heller Bock and Maibock beer are described by the World Beer Cup here:

The German word helle means light colored, and as such, a heller Bock is light straw to deep golden in color. Maibocks are also light-colored bocks. The malty character should come through in the aroma and flavor. Body is medium to full. Hop bitterness should be low, while noble-type hop aroma and flavor may be at low to medium levels. Bitterness increases with gravity. Fruity esters may be perceived at low levels. Diacetyl levels should be very low. Chill haze should not be perceived.

BeerMe.com
describes Big Easy as a bright amber with a big thick head. Clean toasty malt aroma. Medium smooth body. Sweet toasty malt flavor all the way through. Just a hint of noble hop flavor at the end, and maybe just a bit of alcohol.

This barrel was kegged just 8 days ago, so it should be nice and fresh from the brewery.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It must take someone cool to go to Lakefront Brewery and pick up those beers!