Friday, October 26, 2007

New Beer on Tap - Lakefront IPA


My Lakefront Oktoberfest keg was tapped-out in just one night at Oztoberfest (ok, so I first tapped it a week before, but that was I could get the CO2 levels just right, I promise), so I cleaned my tap lines again and Heather went to get some new beer for us at Lakefront Brewery.

I was in a hoppy mood so she picked up some Lakefront IPA. I don't know why it doesn't have a special name, but Lakefront was against making an India Pale Ale for years before Luther from Onopa Brewery (now Stonefly Brewery) joined their team. I'm glad they're experimenting with new recipes.

The only Lakefront IPA that I can find listed on Beer Advocate is called Mangy Rabbit. I'm not sure if it's the same beer or not, but I think it is. It was rated a 4.22 out of 5, but with limited reviews.

I had the IPA on the brewery tour two weeks ago and it was great. The barrel we have tastes very fresh and the keg is only 14 days old. They didn't have any quarter barrels available, so she bought me a half, so it should last quite awhile (keg deposits at Lakefront are up to $30, due to the good recycling costs).

I'm a big fan of harsh, bitter IPA's, like Bitter Woman IPA from Tyranena. The Lakefront IPA is more smooth, but a great beer, very hoppy, citrusy, and relatively light.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Oz,
Yes, the Lakefront IPA is the Mangy Rabbit IPA we brew exclusively for Comet Cafe. We're glad you like it. Luther is very proud of his recipe. We plan to bottle it in 6-packs beginning in early 2008.
Did you know that Comet Cafe is going to start having beer dinners in addition to their already excellent beer school beginning in 2008? Also, please look for the 20th Anniversary Strong Ale that will be released on November 6th in conjunction with a beer dinner from Roots Restaurant Milwaukee at the brewery. We will also be sampling the Bourbon Barrel Cherry- the Lakefront Cherry Lager aged over one year in Kentucky Whiskey barrels. Look for our acclaimed Beer Line Organic barleywine which we will again brew in 2008. Cheers!

oz said...

Thanks for the feedback - can't wait to try the new beers.