Sunday, January 13, 2008

Movies


I watched He Was a Quiet Man last night. I hadn't heard of it before but it had a 80% rating on Rotton Tomatoes, so I gave it a chance.

It was bad.

Christian Slater (from nothing good lately) was main star and it also featured William H. Macy (from many great roles) and Elisha Cuthbert (from "24" on TV).

I thought it had some very interesting camera work and special effects, but they seemed cheesy after awhile and seemed more appropriate for a funky short. The acting was predictable and the story was weak - I thought there a major plot fault as well. I wouldn't recommend it.


I also finally saw No Country for Old Men with Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, and Javier Bardem.

Just as everything I've read about it and like everyone else I've talked to, I thought it was great.

Although I'm pretty sure that while I understood the ending, I didn't like it. Maybe I just wasn't satisfied by it. I didn't want to be taught a lesson about good and evil in that way.

2 comments:

Ben Osborne said...

You're right, the ending should have featured a fist fight between Tommy Lee Jones and Javier Bardem, with Jones punching Bardem through a plate glass window and uttering a good one-liner like, "I like my coffee *without* Chigurh."

oz said...

Or Sheriff Bell could have said, "This is for whom the Bell tolls" as he punched him.