Wednesday, December 5, 2007

TomTom toy


I just bought the TomTom One for myself. It was a SlickDeal®, so I had to buy it, right?

This is my second GPS because I bought a Garmin GPSMAP 60c a couple years ago, but that unit is made more for the trail instead of the road. It does a good job Geocaching though.

My BlackBerry 8800 also has a GPS that works with Google Maps, but it pretty much sucks as far as keeping a satellite signal goes. It sucks so much that I recently switched to the BlackBerry Curve that lacks a GPS but has a built-in camera (the newest Curve has GPS, a camera, and Wi-Fi).

I'm impressed with the TomTom so far. It's really thin and compact and came with everything you need for the car. It has 1GB of memory that holds a map of the entire US and Canada. My Garmin only has 64MB and can hold a little more than Wisconsin at one time. The TomTom also has a SD slot for more maps like Europe and Asia, if I choose to travel there and buy the maps.

It also has a voice prompt that helps you navigate. My Garmin only had a beep. You can even download celebrity voices such as Mr T, Gary Busey, Dennis Hopper, and Burt Reynolds. And there's also away to record your own voice prompts, I think.

The user interface is also steps beyond the Garmin. You can pretty much figure out the menus as soon as you turn it on. The only thing I don't like so far are the web-based updates. They're more complicated then they need to be and not everything is free.

No comments: