Monday, November 10, 2008

PowerPoint hyperlinks using Internet Explorer instead of jumping to other slides

Here's a problem I had at work and it took me awhile to fix it, so I'm posting it here so I can find it again.

A user wanted to create clickable text in a PowerPoint presentation and have it jump to another slide within the same PPT presentation.

Insert > Hyperlink > Place in This Document

















This worked fine when I chose "Next Slide" but when I manually told it what slide to jump to, PowerPoint used Internet Explorer to open a link with that slide name, and it obviously failed.

It's supposed to simply display that page in PowerPoint, not try to open a web page.

I found the fix for this on PPTools. You need to select File > Properties > Summary, and select and delete any text in the "Hyperlink base" text field. Apparently my company had inserted their web address into that field in the default PPT template, so PowerPoint would call IE to open that site for all hyperlinks, even ones that were supposed to jump to new slides.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!